Perfume and Cologne Facts
1. Perfume is made up of alcohol, water and perfume (fragrance) oil. There are 3 major types: oriental, floral and chypre (means “very sincere” in French). There are also many sub-variations such as woody, musky, aquatic, spicy and fruity.
2. Eau de – means “water of” in French.
3. Eau de cologne – contains about 3-5% perfume oil. Used by men. Word came from the Cologne; a German City.
4. Aftershave lotions and splash colognes – contains about 0.5-2% perfume oil. Used by men.
5. Eau de parfum – contains about 15-18% perfume oil. Used by women.
6. Eau de toilette – contains about 4-8% perfume oil. Used by women.
7. Parfum (perfume) is the strongest of them all as it contains the most perfume oil and most expensive. Use sparingly.
8. Scented ingredients added to perfumes include ginger, grapefruit, musk, peppercorns, mandarin peel, fig leaves, rose, watercress, bamboo, clementine, vanilia, honeysuckle, green tea,lavender, rose water, and many other scented plants, fruits and leaves.
9. A perfume contains between 10 to more than 250 ingredients.
10. Everyone has their own personal situation. It depends on genes, diet, skin type, medication, stress levels, pore size and perspiration. These factors can affect the warmth of the skin which will in turn affect the scent result. That means, a perfume could smell differently on different persons.